Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The New Americana


Picture if you will an old fashioned drugstore.  Inside is a long counter flanked with colorful barstools waiting for kids to plop down and have a Coke or a milkshake.  The street outside is lined with flags blowing in the breeze, a barber pole is whirring its red and blue stripes suggestively as families are filling up the gas tank in their 57 Chevrolet before heading out to the countryside or beach for a picnic.  Once the sun goes down it’s time for a refreshing ice cream cone quickly devoured in the melting summer heat while waiting for the fireworks to begin…and then BANG!!! BOOM!!! …and a few WHISTLES to boot...the 4th of July has come once more.

We have been celebrating Independence Day in our country since 1776 when the Declaration of the same name was signed, declaring our colonies free from the sovereign rein of the king of England.  Though it wasn’t adopted as a formal government holiday until the 20th century, people have gathered for hundreds of years to celebrate their ability to live free or die trying.  Fireworks have always been part of this celebration.  In 1776, the lighting of bonfires, shooting of weapons and other explosive detonations were used as a way to create a mock funeral for the king.  Too bad the king didn’t laugh it off and let us go easily, for not too long after a bloody revolution ensued.

Luckily, much of that struggle and strife is behind us, and over the years being an American has come to stand for freedom.  We have certainly taken our own sweet time as a country coming around to the idea of freedom and liberties for everyone, but I think we’re slowly getting there.  I know for me the 4th of July always represented a high point in the summer season. 

Every year we used to gather at my aunt and uncle’s house to shoot off fireworks.  They lived just far enough outside of town to be able to legally put on a proper display.  Their front yard is a long slope heading down to the road, and on the other side of the road is a wood.  My uncles and cousins (and I) used to set up tables with old Coke bottles out on the front lawn.  The bottles were angled just right to get the bottle rockets, roman candles, and all matter of sparkly paraphernalia up into the air for it’s explosive moment out above the trees…and away from the roof of the house.  While it was still daylight we could do the firecrackers, smoke bombs and parachutes, but we had to wait until nightfall for the adults to put on the real show.



Everyone in my family would bring a dish and we would have the most delicious snacks while watching the darkness light up.  There was always seven-layer dip, pies, Mississippi mud and homemade ice cream churned in a bucket out in the driveway.  The kids would get extremely hopped up on sugar, ooohing and ahhhing and running around like chickens with their heads cut-off just so happy to be with each other.  After the fireworks were done and the sugar wore off you could hear the crickets start up out in the woods and see sparkles still going strong from all the fireflies weaving in and out of the branches.  Those were good times.

Though we can’t legally shoot off fireworks in our backyard we did the next best thing Ossining has to offer…it’s own fireworks show.  Brian and I had an early dinner then walked down to the Hudson River where practically the whole town was gathered to watch the spectacle play out.  There was live music and people having picnics and bbqs all over the lawn, and happily there were ice cream cones to be had.  The show was really quite good, and loud…I must be getting older…and the best part of all had to be watching the young kids get excited about every new colorful design violently appearing in the sky.  They pointed, they exclaimed and I must admit I did a time or two as well.

Because our town does the fireworks on the 2nd of July, it leaves the other days of the holiday weekend open for extended fun.  Our friend Kevin came up for a visit and we took him to the Stone Barns Agricultural Center.  I’ve mentioned it several times before on the blog, but I’m amazed every time I go there.  We were able to stroll through the greenhouses, visit with turkeys and pigs, hike around a lake and up into the woods all in the span of a couple relaxing hours.  Garlic happens to be in season right now and they had the ceiling of one whole outbuilding dedicated to drying and preserving it.  Unless you hang out at the farmer's markets a whole lot you don’t normally see garlic with it’s long stalks still attached.  The fragrance was potent and lovely (if your not a vampire anyway).

Though it was a hot day, the walk in the forest kept us cool.  We followed a creek that criss-crossed over our hiking trail several times.  In the dense underbrush were many squirrels and woodchucks scampering about over fallen tree trunks and through acres of ferns.  I wouldn’t have been surprised if Bambi himself should have stepped out of the magical wood.  We emerged into a sunlit field full of golden grasses, grazing cattle and lots and lots of raspberry bushes.  I always like it when it’s raspberry time.


It only made sense to have a bbq in the evening and invite our friends Izabella and Jonathan and Jonathan’s parents who happen to be visiting.  I had wanted to have a cookout all week.  When it comes to July 4th I can think of nothing better than getting together and sharing food with friends and family, just like the old days.  As far as the menu goes I stuck to something I know and love:  blue-cheese/cheddar turkey burgers, corn on the cob, a refreshing salad and tart yet sweet fruit pies. 

I have to confess the pies were truly my muses.  My destiny has been calling since the July cover of Martha Stewart Living crossed my threshold.  If you have seen it you know there are 6 small fruit pies featured on the cover.  I have made large format pies before, but never 6 small, precious, “wouldn’t hurt a flea” fruit pies.  It had to be done.

The recipe calls for 5-inch size dishes to bake the pies.  I found the exact ones I needed at Crate and Barrel a few days before…and they were red....how perfect.  Creating small pies is just like doing the large ones, but with a little more work cutting out the crusts and making everything look pretty.  You start with the usual pate brisee, doubling the recipe and chilling the dough for an hour and up to overnight.  The fruit filling is up to you, but I recommend getting whatever looks good at your local farmer’s market.

Raspberries, blueberries and blackberries had arrived at the market Saturday morning, and I was there before 9:00am to get the best possible pick.  The fruits are at their peak, sweet and delicious.  To make the “red” pies I used the raspberries, but you could also mix in strawberries if you were so inclined.  The blueberries and blackberries went into the “blue” pies.  One round of the pate brisee dough will make the six bottom crusts, and the other round of dough can be used to cut out your stars and stripes.  I used a pastry wheel to get a nice fluted edge on the stripes, but I had to do the stars by hand since I didn’t have a star shaped cutter.  I would recommend buying a start cutter if you want to do a lot of them…they can be kind of difficult to cut out.

Once you have all the pieces it’s just a matter of assembly and baking.  Insert the bottom crusts, fill with the berries which have been mixed with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice, then use a cream and egg yolk wash to glue your stars and stripes on top.  It couldn’t be simpler.  All it takes is a little time and you have a perfectly beautiful and color coordinated dessert for your 4th of July festivities.

Thinking back to last year berries were a festive feature of our party as well.  Our friend Kassi had come up for a BBQ over at our pals Andrea and Nathan’s.  As I recall they had most of the neighbors on their street over to celebrate the sunshine and the day.  I made a classic blueberry tart and had just discovered a red and white platter also from Crate and Barrel.  I’m sensing a pattern here, or maybe just an excuse to feed both my baking and shopping addictions.  Whatever the reason, I’m free to make the baked goods of my choosing and buy the dishes with which I think they would present best.  I’m sure that’s not what our forefather’s had in mind while trying to procure our civil liberties, but the right to make choices, both in baking and in life, I’m sure they would understand. 

No, it isn’t the 1950’s any longer, or even the 1970’s or 80’s for that matter, but some celebrations keep going strong just the same.  Enjoy the day, and preserve and observe it the best way you can surrounded by friends and family.  I know I will.  It’s just who I am.



No comments:

Post a Comment