Saturday, January 8, 2011

Winter White


I’ve just finished gobbling a scone as a reward for getting some exercise.  That makes perfect sense, right?  Well of course it does if you happen to have some scones lying around the house on a Saturday afternoon as I do.  The baking doesn’t end just because I’m on pins and needles waiting for the baby to come.  If I thought I was keeping myself busy before, well I may be outdoing myself now.

You know all those projects that never seem to get done around the house?  The one’s like reorganizing the closets and rearranging the cupboard and pantry?  They are now complete.  What is it about “waiting” that makes one get organized?  I suppose it’s the sensation of control, and control over something small and tangible when the big things seem nowhere near your grasp.  Bathrooms get a good scrubbing, clothing gets a “looking over” and apparently doorknobs get changed and bead board goes up in the bathroom courtesy of Brian.  I leave those sorts of things to him; blogging is a much safer activity for me…less power tools.

We had another reasonably large snow again this week, the sticky kind that is light and delicate and clings to the bushes and trees like the most glorious, sparkly outerwear.  The world seems robed in a magic of sorts and I felt compelled to get out of the house for a little while, take in some fresh cool air and clear my mind.  With only my trusty camera as a companion I walked once more to the nearby cemetery to take some photos and bathe in the stillness of the winter afternoon.

Walking down my street I notice a transformation has taken place.  Even the most uninteresting spaces and lots have become an exercise in beauty.  This kind of wet snow has the power to change.  A run down house gains the charm of an English Tudor at Christmastime.  Slender branches and dried mop heads of hydrangea casually dip from the white hats weighing down from above.  I don’t care for winter as a general rule, but if I have to contend with it, this is the kind of day I enjoy.

Going for a walk like this reminds me of being a kid out in the country, hopping over the barbed-wire fence and heading off through the snow covered field, past the run-down milk barn and out into the woods.  There is no moment or place of greater quiet than a hushed forest covered in snow.  No breeze sneaks into its heart, the occasional sound of a snap or crack can be heard from squirrels looking for their fall stash.  I used to go and sit quietly by a fallen tree, not too far from what my cousins and I called Pond #1 (because there were three ponds out in the woods and field).  There was something so safe about that wood, something that was extremely calming to me as a boy and something I long for as I get older.

The cemetery near our house is as close as I can get to that right now.  It may seem morbid that I wander off there when looking for an escape into solitude, but it’s within a five-minute walk and I hardly ever find anyone there.  There is no endless amount of metaphor which could be described in going to a graveyard in the “dead of winter”, but that’s not what I’m after.  I love those big old trees.  Covered in this specific type of snow their grandeur is multiplied times infinity.  Every angle, needle, branch and remaining brown leaf is outlined in splendor.  The dark wet branches against a stark, glistening white snow is glorious.  I know babies like to see black and white contrasting images and shapes early on, but maybe it’s a joy you never outgrow.

As I walked along the stream and up the hill into the oldest part of the cemetery, (the area with the largest of the trees) the architecture of the stones became beautiful graphic shapes lost in a bright field.  The firewood smoke of nearby chimneys spoke to a cozy Saturday afternoon of people filling their homes, not having to go out into the snowy environment.  After a week of being home I was excited to be out in the elements, smelling not only the firewood on the breeze but the fragrance of elderly pines.  Giant swathes of ground were covered in a needled carpet butting up to mounds of ice, and it was all waiting quietly for me to walk through.

The birds were the most active creatures in the yard.  As I meandered down paths and made my way through stones, powder would gently fall like pixie dust as they landed on a branch not too far from my head.  If ever there was a living winter wonderland, it is Dale Cemetery.  The creek has risen and is running with a gentle voice, carrying away the melted snows from the previous blizzard and waiting for another melting day to remove this one too.

I’m inspired by all the white.  If January were to have a color, it would undoubtedly be white, or maybe the most faint and pale icy blue.  I have a love of color, not only from my art background and daily work, but I remember being a kid and loving nothing more than a “64” box of Crayola crayons and I think it’s fun to take color as an inspiration for “coloring” a picture, painting a room or even as a jumping off point for baking.

I managed to get a couple of things made this week during all my “downtime”.  The first was Coffee-Spice Shortbread with Crystallized Ginger and the second were Raisin and Oat Scones.  These are both pale desserts and fitting for the white or golden off-white scheme this month would seemingly dictate.  I chose these recipes not only for their colors, but also for their simplicity.  I would consider both of these treats to be for the non-baker or someone who is starting out.

I know you are out there; those of you, who made read this blog for some entertainment but just look at the recipes, nod your head, smile and never once think about making them (mom, etc…).  But I’m here to get you pumped up and into the kitchen with these two fool proof, simple creations that don’t take more than 15 minutes to put together and don’t require the use of a mixer either.  Come on, does it get any easier?

The first is the shortbread, though I would venture to say that this becomes more like biscotti than shortbread (in my opinion) because it gets rather crisp.  It’s a recipe I found in the December 2010 Bon Appetit, but never got around to making until this week because I had so many holidays related items to accomplish.  After making so many breads and cookies I was looking for a little comfort and simplicity in the realm of baking, and shortbread usually does the trick.   (Quick item of note:  there is a typo in the online recipe...it should be only 2 cups of flour.)

Shortbreads are generally quite simple with few ingredients, though this one does break that mold a bit by the use of so many spices and accoutrement.  The only special equipment here is the use of a food processor.  All the ingredients go into it, a little pulsing action occurs and viola…the dough is done and ready to be put into removable bottom pans.  I used a tart ring and a fluted tart pan for mine (the recipe makes two batches), but any pan with a false bottom will do.  Most people have a cheesecake pan or angel food cake pan where they can take out the bottom…just clean out your pantry like I did and see what you find.  You may be shocked at what’s hanging out in there.  I know I was.

After the shortbread comes out of the oven remove it from the pans, slice and let cool before covering the pieces in a generous helping of icing made with water, vanilla and confectioners sugar.  Stick the pieces of crystallized ginger on top while the icing firms up and they will be locked into place.  Because of the ginger and coffee going on in these I think they make a great “breakfast” item, but if you can’t get past all that butter and sugar first thing in the morning they will go nicely with your afternoon coffee as well.

The “scone” recipe, and I have it in quotes for a reason, is another great breakfast, brunch or coffee accompaniment.  This isn’t a traditional scone recipe by any stretch of the imagination.  Normally you mix your ingredients together, similar to biscuits, and cut-in chilled butter at the end before forming and cutting out the scones.  In my opinion, what this recipe makes is more of a large “drop” cookie or a golden crust dumpling.  They are sweet and savory, and dare I say on the healthy side as well.  I found them in the January/February 2011 issue of Everyday Food, but haven’t yet found the recipe online.  I reprinted it here:

Raisin and Oat Scones

3/4-cup all-purpose flour
3/4-cup whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2-teaspoon coarse salt
3 tablespoons packed dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/2-cup raisins or dried cherries (I didn’t have either, so I used dried apricots)
2 teaspoons fennel seed (optional)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1-cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, oats, raisins, and fennel seed. 

In a small bowl whisk together butter, egg and buttermilk until combined, then add to flour mixture.  Stir until batter is evenly moistened (do not overmix).

Drop batter by 1/3 cupfuls, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake until golden brown, 15 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.  Let scones cool on a wire rack, 5 minutes.

As you can see, a very simple recipe to put together and practically foolproof.  I was in the kitchen for about 30 minutes total and was rewarded with a crisp and sponge filled dessert with which to refuel after my epic hike through the forest.  I’m kind of surprised at how good these things really are.  I was a little worried because they are a more “healthy” sort of dessert or breakfast item what with the wheat flour, oatmeal and very little sugar or butter.  The fennel or anise seed give a beautiful but subtle licorice flavor, which paired nicely with the apricots.  I think candied orange might also be really good in these.  I would also say if you aren’t going to use fennel because you don’t care for that flavor profile, a teaspoon of cinnamon would be nice as a replacement.

Well, I guess it’s back to home repairs and “waiting” for me.  It beats sitting, staring at the phone willing it to ring with every fiber of my being.  Any gal who ever waited for a boy to call in high school knows exactly the feeling I’m talking about…only this time it’s hopefully news of a baby coming into the world and not some jerk canceling on the night of the prom.  I really hope she comes soon; I need a good excuse to order takeout.  It’s just who I am.



1 comment: